středa 13. července 2016

Introducing ... Kazuhiro Yajima

ArtCamp would not be complete without our visiting artists. This year we will welcome 11 guests from the USA, Japan, Canada, Poland, Slovakia and the Czech Republic.

Meet Kazuhiro Yajima, our visiting artist from Japan who teaches at ArtCamp thanks to the ongoing cooperation and grant support from the EU-Japan Fest Japan Committee and the cooperation with the Youkobo Art Space in Tokyo. The project with four-year history has already enabled the stay of two visiting artists, one intern and twenty students at the ArtCamp international summer school of art.


Kazuhiro Yajima teaches architecture at ArtCamp


Kazuhiro Yajima is an architect and holder of several architectonic awards who explores different aspects of architecture and its influence on our lifestyle and on the public space. You can learn more about his work through his PechaKucha presentation and his webpage http://kyarchitect.info/

Kazuhiro-san´s ArtCamp course focuses on architecture and introduces its participants into the principles and philosophy of traditional Japanese tea houses. They also draw inspiration from the famous Adolf Loos interiors located in Pilsen and learn how to make a paper OKOSHI-E model. 

Let´s ask Kazuhiro Yajima about his work and his ArtCamp experience:

You are an architect and also a teacher - can you tell us more about your professions?

Yes, I am an architect. I always tell my client candidates that I can design everything from a dog house to a skyscraper! Now a duplex house project is in progress. And I also sometimes join art events. I am now preparing for one event for next year.

Using my experience, I have been teaching architectural theory at a design school in Tokyo for three years.

Your ArtCamp course focuses on architecture with special focus on japanese tea houses - what projects are you working on with the students?

I pick up the essence of Japanese tea ceremony and house. I don’t like using Japanese tea house as orientalism and exoticism.

The students also learn how to make the OKOSHI-E - a paper model especially representing a Japanese tea house.We have visited the Brummel House and other interiors designed by Adolf Loos and the students made a an OKOSHI-E model based on the Brummel House. Now they are working on their own projects of tea houses designed for public space in Pilsen.
Visit of the Adolf Loos interiors in Pilsen

What is special about japanese tea houses that they needed to know for their project?

Serving a bowl of tea and reaching out to the guests… In Japan, tea ceremonies are held to create a bond between the participants. So the essence of Japanese tea house is creating communication space between the host and the guest. We try to create such space with my students. The final presentation in my course will be held by using OKOSHI-E paper models.

How do you like your ArtCamp experience so far?

I am satisfied with everything. I have gotten a great experience here. When I teach the students, I always realize that teaching is learning. I learn many things from each student here too.

This is not your first time in Europe - do you find inspiration for your work and teaching here?

About 15 years ago I stayed in Europe as an exchange student. I am so glad to come back to Europe as a teacher.

This time I had a good opportunity to visit the Loos interiors with my students. We could stay there for quite a long time, we discussed which room is best and why, while watching the real space. It is so helpful not only for the students but also for me to understand the Loos interiors.

When we make paper models of the Loos interiors, I realise the difference between Japanese and European architecture. European wall is made by masonry construction system. That’s why the wall must be thick. But Japanese wall must be thin. I understand that paper a model expresses the characteristics of Japanese architecture by itself.

I also realise the similarity. When I visit the Loos interiors, I am especially fascinated by the drawing room. A drawing room is used not only by the family but also by the guests. Loos tried to create a communication space for the host and the guest. It is the same with Japanese tea houses. I could feel a familiarity with Adolf Loos.

Exploring the Brummel House with the students
In the class
Kazuhiro Yajima giving his PechaKucha presentation at ArtCamp 2016


The stay of Kazuhiro Yajima and four Japanese participants at ArtCamp 2016 is supported by the Eu-Japan Fest Japan Committee.


1 komentář:

  1. It looks a funny place and where you can improve a lot, i'm gonna try my best for sure, thanks for the help

    OdpovědětVymazat